Whotopia is looking for all sorts of material including: articles, reviews, opinion pieces, interviews, analysis, artwork, columns, and a comic – the typical staples of a well produced fanzine.
Here are a few basic details if you’re interested in contributing…
In terms of artwork or graphics:
- All work should be in either jpg or gif format
- Color or black & white
- 300 dpi resolution
- Standard page size is 8.5 x 11 inches, but I will accept artwork/graphics in any size providing it doesn’t exceed the standard page size.
We are looking for contributors who have a reasonably good knowledge of Doctor Who past, present, and future, to pen material whether it is on the original or new television series, production, design, actors, etc.
We are looking for the following types of articles:
- Series overview/history (in-depth overview of the TV series)
- Interviews with in-front or behind the camera personnel
- Opinion Pieces
- Topical Discussions
- Themed articles (e.g. minorities in Doctor Who, etc…)
- Articles related to the new series
- Quality original fiction
- An original comic strip
- Convention reports
- Era overviews/assessments (e.g. the Hinchcliffe years, season 14, etc…)
- Other similarly written material
Or submissions can be material to fit in one of our regular features:
- Retroplay (reviews of specific episodes)
- Reader’s Letters (letters from Whotopia readers)
We also accept articles dealing with any of the Doctor Who spin-off series such as K-9, the Sarah Jane Adventures, Torchwood, and/or Class.
Articles should be insightful, informative, grammatically correct and well-written, but not to read like something from college textbooks. Material should still retain that element of ‘fun’.
And if you’ve got an idea for article, please feel free to drop us a quick note and let us know what your idea is about.
Standard word count (approximates) are:
- 800 words = 1 page
- 1500 words = 2 pages
- 2200 words = 3 pages
- 3000 words = 4 pages
- 3600 words = 5 pages
Please check with us first before submitting material longer than 3000 words/4 pages.
Material for publication should be submitted in either text (.txt or .rtf) or Word (.doc) format documents, and sent as attachments in an e-mail.
As we are a fan publication, at this time we do not pay for material submitted to us. However in lieu of this, what we can offer contributors is a chance to have their work published, to be exposed to readers Whotopia reserves the right to reject material that it does not feel would be suitable for our magazine.
We are also looking for people to assist in the production area of the magazine. The areas we need help with are:
- Graphic Design
- Staff Editors