A Note About Hardcopy Subscriptions

All of us here at Whotopia would like to thank you for your continued support over the past few years.  It has been very much appreciated and it’s nice to know that the magazine has such supporters.  Without your support, Whotopia wouldn’t have been able to be around for as long as it has, and we wouldn’t have been able to publish the quality magazine that Whotopia has become.  However, there comes a time when things must change and such a time has come for Whotopia. 

For the past three or four years, we have seen both the production, and mailing, costs for Whotopia increase, while we have not seen an increase in our subscriber or single issue purchaser base.  As a result these increased costs have been absorbed by the magazine and have not been reflected in an increase to subscription rates or the cover price.  For example it costs approximately $500 per issue to produce Whotopia (this includes the production and mailing costs), which adds up to roughly $1500-2000 a year.  Of this amount, subscriber and individual issue sales only cover about 20% of these costs.  The remaining 80% has been subsidized out of pocket. 

Please be assured we are not complaining, and we fully realize that it is virtually impossible to break even producing a fan magazine, but rather we are highlighting this information for your reference.  Sadly the reality of the situation is now that it has come to a point were these costs are severely affecting the future of Whotopia.  As a result, and after much consideration, the Editorial Board, and the Publisher, has decided to cease publication of the hardcopy edition of Whotopia – Issue 16 will effectively be the final hardcopy edition. 

However, rest assured that this is NOT the end for Whotopia.  Quite the opposite in fact. 

All of us on the Editorial Board are committed to this publication, and we wanted to continue to publish the magazine.  As a result, we have decided to make Whotopia an online publication which will be available to download for free in PDF format.  To accommodate this change, we have completely redesigned and revamped the existing Whotopia website to make it a fully interactive Doctor Who community. 

The all new Whotopia website can be found at www.whotopia.ca and features an exciting array of new features including: 

  • Free downloadable PDF copies of all current and back issues of Whotopia
  • A free Mailing List for readers to subscribe to and be kept up-to-date on all Whotopia issues and events
  • Special online publications, features and articles such as our upcoming Torchwood: Children of Earth mini-site
  • Readers Forum and Message Board where you can meet with fellow Who fans to discuss Whotopia, The Doctor Who Project, Doctor Who, Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood
  • Plus many more forthcoming features 

We hope all of you will drop by the new website and check it out.  Join the forum and let us know what you think of the new site.  Or if you would like to contact us directly, or have any questions regarding the above, please email us at whotopia@whotopia.ca or drop us a line at our mailing address. 

Bob, Jez, Samantha & Nancy

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s